Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sat/Sun 11/12 October

It's getting better!

But I am still worried. No surprise there ... but, I don't suppose anyone wants to embarrass themselves out there so I'll just hang on to that flimsy piece of balsa wood hope for the moment. 

On Saturday we got to rehearse in a nice big space in the building next door to our theatre. It's still not as big as the stage space we'll be performing on but it gave us more room to range. Lines are still a problem here and there ... what else can I say about this one?

Sunday back in Workshop Theatre working on the problematic second act and it started coming together a little more - there's hope in them thar hills! I explained to the cast that I wanted them to be pretty much performance ready so that when we hit the stage at the Bruce Gordon Theatre, in the Illawarra Performing Arts Centre, we wont be wasting our time tripping over lines whilst adjusting to the performance space.

I am reminded about something, Annie, an actor friend said to me once ... the rehearsals are the most creative period of a production, character creation, costumes, music, lights, all get played with and set into place during rehearsals. There is a certain creativity in performance to be sure but I think Annie is right. When I'm performing I certainly try hard not to lose that creative opportunity in boredom and such undermining stuff - but as a director, I'm never bored!

I like stories.

I was asked on facebook earlier this evening if I am getting excited and I replied that I felt like there were 1000 butterflies in my stomach all throwing up at once! I am excited and nervous and tense and scared and a whole host of other emotions colliding in and out of my brain like Higgs boson particles (you'll have to google that one). It's getting pretty exciting out there ...

A funny story I forgot to tell from after last Thursday's rehearsal: Our stage manager Tessa was leaving the theatre after rehearsals and she forgot to take her script off the bonnet of her car. As she left the driveway of the theatre the script slid off the bonnet and straight into the drain on the road! Is this a portent of doom or a comment on how I was feeling after Thursday? I can't be sure but I'm hoping it was the latter. ;-)
We managed to get the lid of the drain open and retrieve the folder and no rats were sited nor sewage disturbed - Phew! 

So it all ended well ... and as Bill Collins would say, "There's something in that for all of us."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing my little adventure! Make sure they all know that I did not hesitate but jumped straight into the drain - to lose the prompt script does not bear thinking about! Thank Goodnes it had not rained recently and yes I did think about rats but my fear of losing the script was greater.
At least we got a great story for the after party.

Anonymous said...

Don't fear my precious and talented friend. Yes, Annie is spot on, but don't forget the magical transformation that occurs once costumes and lights are on and the cast are treadin' the boards. The morph nears completion and performances will lift 100 fold. Then once in front of an audience, the process ends and the cast lift again. I have every confidence that your production will do this piece justice. I also have to mention that with pro's like Troy, Susie and Gemma on stage, all will be good. The part about a production is only as good as its director... well.... how can this project fail! That is all I have to say!
Except that I never thought of Tess as a sewer rat!
You will ALL shine. See you on
24th

Lucy W

Soho Images said...

Heeheehee! Tessa you're so awesome...I would have made a boy get in the drain...;o)