Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Act One: Organization and preparation ...

Firstly, I suck at admin work. I have no love for it and it gives me a headache ... but it has to be attended to. When you're dealing with a organizing committee of a local theatre group and those responsible for the charity organization that auspices the other theatre group there's a lot of stuff to think about. There's a lot of stuff to do. And, there's a lot of time to spend rubbing your head wondering when the fun stuff will start. I am also the President of WWT as well as the director of this play ... Yikes! What the hell was I thinking! Did I also mention that I'm trying (not very successfully) to juggle working on my PhD as well ... seriously - get me a doctor!

Anyways, it has been a challenging couple of weeks as the WWT committee has waken from its slumber and is starting to gain interest in the project. Don't get me wrong everyone has been supportive but it is coming to the time when all hands want/need to be on deck. That's all I'm gonna say about that - anyone who has been on a committee might know how the rest of the story goes, BUT, I don't want to dwell on the difficulties because problems need to be solved and work needs to get done!

So here's what we have so far ... a mixed ability cast doing a Shakespeare play in a 220 seat theatre (WWT is 65 seats!). We have in kind sponsorships in place and a grant from the local Council and more being sought and promised. We have a script adapted to reflect a certain Australian feel and a set design that will reflect that - actually I'm meeting the set designer tomorrow night! We have original music to accompany the fairies as they sing their signature tune. There's costumes to still sort out and many many more bits and pieces to come.

My wife Susie is helping as a kind of personal assistant which is grand as I can do naughty things when we're not on the clock and not get into trouble ;-) ... we've been together for 9 years and married for 4! We are right in the midst of our anniversary as I type so it's a nice time.

I don't plan to be coherent in every post but I hope it will give you a sense of the journey.



 

2 comments:

Richard H said...

Hey Louie

Sounds like fun. Hope the fun stuff starts soon.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do to assist the project.

Cheers

Richard

Anonymous said...

hehehehe this blog is intriguing!

I shall bookmark it for future reading!

also, I should love to be of assistance with the show if needed! ^__^

even if that just means coffee and an ear to listen...

oh, and painting help of course! :D

♥ Emma